Friday, April 1, 2011

Yes, you too

The other day I was talking to Kate about all of the things she can be when she grows up (...while we were brushing her teeth. Don't ask me why that was what we were discussing, but if the dentist asks, tell him the subject was dental hygiene.) I said, as I often do, "Kate, you can be anything you want to be when you grow up." And I offer a helpful list of suggestions too, no pressure. I just want her to remember that pole dancer or professional cheerleader don't often come up, but you know, whatever she wants to be.

Sam, who overheard us talking, leans in and says, "Hey, can I be whatever I want to be when I grow up too? Anything?"

I had to laugh at this, because when I'm telling Kate about all the things she can do, I'm trying to counterbalance generations of girls who were limited in job selection to secretaries and teachers. I'm trying to empower her to take on anything and be the Speaker of the House or President or preacher or author or head football coach (probably not that one, but whatever. Someday.) I guess I don't give the same encouragement to Sam, who I think should be born with entitlement and pride in his little white male genes.

So, I respond, "Yes, Sam. You can be anything you want to be."

"Great," he said. "I think I want to be a pilot." (This was a first-- he is usually very adamant about becoming a video game creator.)

Naturally, I leaned over to Kate and said, "You know, you could be a pilot too. If you wanted."

No comments: