Monday, April 23, 2012

Disney California Adventure, Day 3

Oh, and happy birthday to me!

We started our day off later today, having slept a bit later after our late night out. But oh what a beginning! Today was princess breakfast day, and we greeted the morning with 5 of our favorite princess friends at Ariel's Grotto. It was another cool day, so we were again in sweatshirts and jeans. Not very princess-y, but warm. (Incidentally, I did get a free birthday brownie after my breakfast with the princesses, and all of them wished me happy birthday. So see, who says nothing in life is free. Okay, well nothing at Disney is free, but this was given at no additional charge.)

We enjoyed DCA, but huge sections of the park were blocked off for renovation. The new Cars Land opens this summer, so we could peek over the barriers and see what's coming-- looks great. And DCA sorely needs it, in my opinion. By midday we'd seen almost everything we'd wanted to see and definitely everything major in the ride category. We didn't see the show, but we did spend quite a bit of time at the Animator's studio, where Kate talked to Crush the animated turtle, we found out which Disney character we were most like (Kate did this twice because she didn't like the first answer) and we learned to draw Chip (as in Chip and Dale). We had a good time.

As a special birthday treat, Stuart got us reservations at the Wine Country Trattoria (one of the sit-down restaurants at DCA), which offers a package that includes VIP seating for the World of Color show. I am always skeptical about night-time shows, but this one was really amazing. We were right in front, and the kids and I wore our ponchos to keep dry from all the water spray. I really can't say enough how much we liked it. The kids listed it as their best part of the day, and I agree!

Other favorites were Toy Story Midway Mania (me, mostly), Goofy's Sky School, and Soarin' over California.

No comments: